Thursday, August 16, 2007

Draw the line

A while back I came across the game Line Rider. The idea is that you draw a line, and a little man on a sled goes sliding down it. To be honest I didn't think much of it.

Then I discovered that some people are much more creative with this game than I could be. For example... getting dumped (or the best ride ever).



Some people simply have better artistic talent than I have. For example, wouldn't you like to slide through the world of Escher.



But it never occurred to me that you could use something so simple for machinima. Machinima is the term for using the in-build engine of a game, to tell a story not supposed to be in the game.

So how about a story about escaping from a one eyed giant... (with a ska soundtrack)


Or an episode of Stargate Atlantis? (Some might argue that the acting is more or less up to the show's standards.)


Oddly enough, I was thinking about a delivery company advert... You know about the post getting through rain and snow and one eyed giants... And it would make a change from those bloody snowman adverts at Christmas.

I'm just waiting for the t-shirts.

take care,
Will

tags : , , , , , ,

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Machinima is bringing the practice and techniques of filmmaking into a real-time 3D virtual space - which a good number of video games provide. Unfortunately, this often translates as Machinima = using a video game to create a film. It's a slight shift in perspective, but pretty profound.


Great post, Cork. I love what gamers are creating with LineRider. The clips you've posted are awesome - and love the passionate community that's springing up around this one game.

1:40 p.m., August 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a heads-up that you're missing a quotation mark on one of your links under Cork Venues - near the Hotpress link.

12:26 p.m., August 20, 2007  
Blogger cork-host said...

Sez him ... as I wrote "If only I hd the talent"


And Rodger.. thanks for the heads up, noticed a few more typos in there. No idea how long that error was there.

10:34 p.m., August 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home