Friday, September 02, 2005

breaking into an attic to see if there's anyone there to save and finding...

Boing Boing has published e-mails from a NOLA rescue worker. These are the people at the coal face of things getting way out of hand.

"There have been times on this journey I have hated being here because I can't be doing what these guys are doing, what I used to do, what I dreamed of and loved for so long. But that's not the feeling I have when I sit up against a cement wall, in filthy water, and a guy I've known for years cuddles up in me and sobs. I know that's not the way the public may want to think about their rescuers and their heroes, but that's how it is.

Swinging an axe and breaking into an attic to see if there's anyone there to save and finding a dead family of four instead will bring tears to even the most stoic of people."


Their anecdote on civil defense in Cuba and how civil defense works on hurricanes is interesting, and might be something we should look in to in Ireland if not the EU.

take care,
Will

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home