Monday, November 20, 2006

Redundomoto

Shock: The uncontrollable urge to giggle while it feels like you're being kicked in the stomach and your heart wants get out of your chest and run out the door leaving your brain to deal with whats going on but it's not talking with the mouth.

Physical shock that is.

I only realised that was what happened when I got around to eating something. I was told that I was being made redundant.
I've worked in the company for 10 and a half years. The longest I've been unemployed is three weeks, and that was backpacking around Europe in 1999... I suspect I'm not the only one.

I was given the option of not spending the rest of the day in the office. I took it.

I'm glad that I had people over. Ended up spending the day at UCC with a gang getting ready for the Medieval and Renaissance Banquet. One thing about being a student is time. It may not get you ready for work in itself, but it allows you time to think. I needed to be with people with time. I haven't had time for a while... see the backpacking comment.

Friday I got the proper notice and I was at least coherent and (this got commented on) professional about it. It's sad but I can see their point. I don't agree with the decision, but I can see their point.

Now I have time to think again. And the question I have is "where do I want to go from here?". Do I stay in software? Do I look at consulting? Go back to school?

As the song goes, there are lots of opportunities. And I want to see what I want as opposed to I need right now.
I have a list of things to do in the short term, and a gig just before Christmas. So I'm busy.

just as well... I might have time to think.

Will

p.s.
The other Adam, you took the trouble to send the address for the CV, I'll send it your way.

tags :

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it has been hell in there Will. As you know, big sis has gone through same grinder over the past few weeks. At least the muppets have finally made their minds up so you can all plan properly now. Best of luck with the job hunt.

8:29 p.m., November 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...job hunt, or whatever you decide to do.

8:31 p.m., November 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Will, and best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

As I'm sure you're aware, if you can afford to you should give yourself time and not rush into anything you might later regret.

It's cliched bullshit to say that every crisis brings an opportunity, but the truth is that while you're now facing upheaval, you might now be able to think about that plan you'd previously considered unfeasible.

12:42 a.m., November 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'll be next summer before we're up and running and probably the summer after than before we take on staff, so the PFO'll be some time coming Adam! :)

Sorry to hear about the job, god luck with whatever you decide to do.

12:14 p.m., November 21, 2006  
Blogger Julian said...

Will, sorry Blogger went bolshie on me, so my original cleverly crafted words of support and wisdom have just disappeared for ever. I was basically saying I still haven't had a proper job and am now too old to look forward to one; and despite this, I'm not worse off in many ways than old friends who've 'achieved'. Good luck on the swings and the roundabouts.

4:23 p.m., November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are about to lose our jobs, and it is cold outside,
no longer can we stop this oncoming tide,
the meetings come thick and fast,
how long will it last?,
the money looks great,
if that is to be our fate,
but some of us want to stay,
we have lots of bills to pay,
so we can only hope and pray,
that ours will come another day.

Motorola Redundancy from a poetic point of view by Stephen O'Callaghan

2:23 p.m., November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will,
Mot had no idea how to use someone who can actually do something for them.
You have skills they could only dream about, not knowing that they had them right under their big noses.

30 jan 07 The flock have joined you now, as Cork Mot gets the boot.
It's a strange world, for those with big noses -
but the world moves on to better things for everyone else -
I've no doubt you'll land on your feet.
Siasy

1:20 p.m., January 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home