Sunday, May 27, 2007

Net-not-work security

Omani mentioned that he turns off his wireless router at night.
I do the same thing (although if I do go down the Fon route I'll need to rethink this).

Why?

1) I unplug everything when I go to bed. Stops fires (in theory) and is one less thing to worry about

2) Security, turning the internet back in to a sneaker-net. I don't really worry about someone piggy backing my connection (contention is contention).

3) I have something off-line to do. The web is a bloody siren call. Since the router is in the hall and the comouter isn't (the call no place to do any business unless it's shooing a candidate from the doorstep).

4) I'm not using it. Why leave it on? Energy saving and all of that...

Do you?

tags : , , , , ,

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, we leave our PC and wireless connection on. The connection is protected and the PC is hooked up to the NTL cable box and records any TV programs we want to see when we're asleep - lots of Sky re-runs at this time if they clash during the normal schedule.

12:19 p.m., May 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya but u cant see any elvis films.my favorite film is gilr happy staring elvis presley.
i think he deserves an oscar for all he has done.
he is just as good as robert deniro and laurence olivia.

let there be peace where peace is absent , let there be war where the motorola demons crash on the earth of the future which is vapour as a result of the middle east armageddon

10:03 p.m., May 27, 2007  
Blogger cork-host said...

Elly, youre using it. That's fine.

Wheelman... who are you. Really who are you.

8:32 p.m., May 28, 2007  
Blogger Omaniblog said...

There's debate in the UK about Norwich becoming the first wi-fi city. Some people say the radiation is a threat to human health. I don't know what to think about this.
Thanks for carrying this.

11:38 p.m., May 29, 2007  
Blogger cork-host said...

Personally I suspect its safe. I have wireless headphones which pick up everything... and I need to be close to the router before there is messed up signal (I have also learned to stand back from the microwave for the same reason... greater reach)

A city wide mesh may not be that strong

10:47 p.m., June 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only give clues man....

I am the one who worked in the lab but never worked for the lab,

I am the one who was forced to leave at the end of the end instead of the beginning of the end

I am the one who brought together the work of many but did very little myself

I was the one who recognised the horse was a horse in sys admin

I am the one that recognised the drimnagh dribbler was the cause of all the rain in motorola

thats about as much as i can give man..

wheelman

3:22 p.m., June 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home