Thursday, January 17, 2008

The 4 ds of information loss - Statement of intent

When someone talks about losing their data, the assumption is a hard disk crash. But not always. Sometimes it's something more.

Sometimes its business. Sometimes it's personal. So it's not always technical.

The thought sprung to mind when I was driving to Waterford with Security Now playing through the radio. This was also after the Facebook/Scoble/Plaxo incident around Christmas, so ownership of data was in my mind. Barcamp Waterford was where Ellybabes presented Death and Divorce in the Digital World almost a year ago. (The slides from the presentation are in the link)

At the session few, if any of the questions were answered, so I'm going to take a stab at it over the new weeks. The schedule I'm planning is...

24-Jan-08 D 1. Data losses (from a head crash to lost in the mail)
31-Jan-08 D 2. Death (You're gone, but your data will live on)
07-Feb-08 D 3. Demotion (You're fired, and I own your info)
14-Feb-08 D 4. Divorce (I didn't choose the date to be sarcastic)

I don't have all the answers, or even all the questions. So if there is anything you want me to cover (or corrections after the fact) please let me know either through e-mail or comment

take care,
William Knott

tags : , , , , , ,

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home