Monday, June 13, 2005

Blog the business

Well I barely made the Blogging for Business event. Finally the Admin and the Bellringer got the timing right, and a couch made it's way from the Admin's house to mine via the Bellringer's van.

I'm not too sure why he has a camper van, but even the evidence of hound of the Bellringer didn't put me off. (For the record, a golden labrador. A very friendly in a lick you to death way dog). Of cource, it now turns out that I should have waited as I have to empty the room the the floorfitters.

When I made it to the meeting, I milled around in the atrium for a little while, wondering if I had missed everything and why there were lots of forty-something women there. (I now know that the atrium was double booked with an artist launch. Does not really explain the ladies who launch). Then I thought I recognised someone, and sure enough it was a rep from I.T.@Cork and followed her to find the event.

I missed Maura McHugh's and John Breslin's presentation, but I caught Richard Delevan's and Tom Raftery's. Copies of the presentation are available here.

To be honest, blogging for business (not quite the same thing as a business blog) is great thing if, and mostly if, you are a small to medium company. It is really true of you rely on the internet to drum up business. I'm not saying that you are an internet based business, after all Fota House is not exactly a hot bed of techdom.

For something bigger, Tom's talk on having a customer service rep scan a blog roll for complaints sounds like a good idea. But most big businesses don't trust initiative, and the contact sparked from the rep to the customer blogging the business is not something I see most banks doing. Especially of the "conversation" is going to be available for all to see in the comments.

take care,
Will

p.s. No I didn't go to college with John Breslin. We do have mutual friends, which is how my confusion began.

I'm often confused.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, thanks for making it along to the event - you should have come up and introduced yourself afterwards.

Just to clarify, I used the Fota example because they are a not for profit organisation and had no problem with my using their information. Other, significantly larger organisations are now blogging or looking at blogging as well but don't necessarlily want that info released (to maintain competitive advantage!).

Unfortunately I have to agree with your perception of banks - we can only hope that that will change (yes I am an optimist!).

Cheers,

Tom.

10:28 p.m., June 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home