Tuesday, June 07, 2005

If it's not one thing it's another

Looks like I won't be facing the tunnel on Thursday. The Blogging for Business event is on Thursday in the National Software Centre at in Cork at 6pm.

And I'm going. (Just finished registering).

The strange thing is I think I know the speakers.

I think I might have gone to school with John Breslin.

Strangely enough I've never thought of blogging in a business. I can see a few applications, but the problem with saying something on the net is that you might say something you shouldn't.

And that something will be cached and used against you.

On the other hand, deep behind a bunch of firewalls, I can see it used to document how something is working. What's being seen. When things stopped happening (for good or bad).

As a marketing tool, maybe not. A press release is a press release (I've posted enough of them over the wires), reformatting it doesn't help it much.

A blog also works best when others can comment, add their two cents.
In anyone knows how I can turn that thing on here, let me know please.

take care,
Will

2 Comments:

Blogger cork-host said...

DCU, I think. I remember the Orkut photos.

2:59 p.m., June 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will,

personally I use my own blog as a knowledgebase - if I come across a problem, I write about how I solved it and if I come across it again a couple of months later (I have a terrible memory!) I just search my blog to find the answer. This is how many company blogs are being used now.

Also, many company blogs are private (witness Paul Otellini's blog in Intel - Paul is the CEO and has a regular blog for all intel employees where he spouts the faith!).

Company blogs are being used in many innovative ways.

Hope this helps,

Tom

10:36 p.m., June 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home