Thursday, February 22, 2007

It's all brown

Memory. It's one of those thing which make us what we are.

As per usual I'm going through my backlog of podcasts when of all things the Tubridy Show talked about memory, loosing it and the earliest memories.

My earliest memory is colourful. White Lego and brown, lots of brown. Well it was the 70's. The Lego (tm etc) was curved, probably from some kind of rocket, but I was making a well and for some reason I was in the very dark brown kitchen of someones house. I would describe it as a sort of pre-school set up in someone house before all the legislation for creches came in. I suspect I had gone looking for a lego piece that had rolled off on me when in walks the "teacher". Big glasses, straight centre parted brown hair, long brown dress.... let's just say she dresses to match her kitchen.

That's it. If you think back your earliest memory will be a disconnected detail. You might remember why you were there. You might remember what you were doing and who yo were with, but you won't remember what followed. It's not our most vivid memory, or the 10 seconds we'd be willing to live over and over (which are probably intense and enjoyable).

Why does memory do this? I suspect its a survival technique, after all most of life is too boring to bother remembering. The years of going to school, walking past the playground, yet you'll remember the day the dog showed up in the playground during classes.

So what is your earliest memory? And do you have follow-through with what happened next?

take care,
Will

tags :

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Why would you ever replay a Tubridy Show? Do you want to create bad adult memories?

3:44 p.m., February 22, 2007  
Blogger cork-host said...

I find the guy funny.

At least with a podcast you can delete him...

3:20 p.m., February 27, 2007  
Blogger mobitron said...

Earliest thing I can remember is seeing a really big spider on the hallway floor and freaking out. In my memory it was purple for some reason. It probably looked huge because I was so tiny.

4:20 p.m., February 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home