Sunday, February 04, 2007

Not watching

I got a comment from my (very quick) post about a TV inspector visit.
Actually two. Grannymar and another who said...

"You have to love the way that just assume that everyone has a TV"

The thing is... EVERYONE assumes I have a TV. And when they find out I don't the first thing I'm asked is, how do you do without?

Well there are a few things. How much TV do you sit down and watch. Frequently people come in and turn the television on in order to have background noise.
Then there are the grazers (as opposed to the grazrs) who sit down like good couch potatoes and let the rays wash over them.

How many programmes do you sit down and watch. Appointment TV?
With the exception of news, very few.

I'll take news first. The TV news will be repeated on the radio and written about enough to be seen on web so that I'm fairly up to date with news. Podcasts are another matter. I have jumped ahead to listen to "how the Vista DRM allowing hardware to be shutdown at the behest of the RIAA and MPAA is a risk" on the Security Now podcast but I'm only on January 18... so some news podcasts are simply being skipped.

Then we have appointment TV. Well, I'm a Sci-Fi buff. I can rely on getting updates on plot on the web (Wikipedia should have a spoiler warning slapped on it). And the DVD box sets come out eventually.

But there are things that have to be watched. That is where, as Piaras Kelly put it, the Water Cooler Effect 2007 kicks in. To quote Piaras, "In the past co-workers used to huddle round the water cooler to discuss the highlights of last night’s TV viewing. But now "..."if you missed it on TV though and the clip was worth watching, it’s safe to say that it will end up on YouTube."

Thanks to the net I've seen inmates seeing the impact of her bullying on the UK and world political scene. I've seen the bits that are talked about...

At the moment I'm the odd man out.

Somehow I don't think I'm going to be the only one.

take care,
Will

tags :

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the official definition of a TV in the context of a licence?

I have a WinTV box connected to my PC with a coax fromn the aerial going into the back of it so I can record programmes. Does that count as one?

10:24 a.m., February 05, 2007  
Blogger cork-host said...

I talked to the inspector about that...

for the moment. No.

however the law is getting changed to include TV tuner cards in PCs. In fact anything that can pull in TV signals over the air.

I don't know when, and I'm not too sure about the position of thoses TV tuner dongles since they get shared about the place (in theory).

My setup is a DVD player and other bits hooked to to a Logic 3 VGA box which translates the signals from the devices to a VGA signal ith an old extra) monitor... so I'm legal when the change comes...

2:27 p.m., February 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home