Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Thank you, thanks and suggestions

Thank you for your supportive comments. I'm still trying to sort out proper connections (and getting my hard disk back in to a working state so I can post some more) so things might be a little quiet around here for a while.

And thank you to Fermoy Town Council and Cork County Council... they got rid of the sill positioning of the 50km/ph signs. Now it's 80km/ph all the way (even when it is impossible to make the turn, but it's the thought that counts).

Now if I can suggest a solution to the Watergrasshill problem...

To explain, when the toll road M8 was opened, the traffic going through the town shot up because their old free by-pass was now a toll road. A really (bad) long and complicated route around the town was arranged, but hardly anyone uses it because its long, complicated and a 30 degree turn makes it a bad idea to use it.

There is an alternative...
When you enter the Watergrasshill from the Rathcormac end, there is a left turn right on the 50km/ph sign. Widen this alley and make it the alternative route. Traffic from Cork will still have to use the bridges, but since it shortens the route (and is a safer turn) I think you'll find more people using it.

Of course a well thought out on and off ramp....

take care,
Will

tags :

2 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

Hi Will,
I think you're right about the alternative route, now that it's too late to do the thing properly.

I found out that about two hundred people besides me picked up speeding tickets while the emergency 30mph limit was in place at Corrin. The traffic constabulary Christmas party will not be under-funded this year. The return to the default limit of 50mph apparently only obtains while negotiations continue, according to the man I spoke to at the NRA; they're hoping for 40mph, the guards would prefer 30. My post-ticket policy of pedantic adherence to the 30mph limit until the signs were removed provoked bad, angry and on one or two occasions all but lethal driving by others. Scared the life out of me, and I wish I'd had someone filming so I could blog it. Just for the record.

5:04 p.m., December 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adhering to the speed limit seems to have the effect on a lot of drivers...


...especially on the motorways.


T.

5:02 p.m., January 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home